Wednesday 29 May 2013

Miscellaneous Blog: A blessing in disguise.


            It was during the summer of 2010 when I had the worst day of my life. My nanny had caught the swine flu, and had been in the hospital for some testing. A few days later she gets a call from her doctor, who sent her to the cancer clinic. We knew right away. She was diagnosed with kidney cancer and was put on the waiting list to get one of her kidneys removed. She had it removed in December of 2010 the day that the winter Olympics began in Whistler. It took a few months for her to recover and she began chemotherapy pills shortly after. Now most of this story talks about the negative, but the diagnosis has brought my entire family together and we are all much closer than before. Fast forward a few years to present day: my nanny is now in hospice house and we are waiting for the call. The fight is over and it’s been a long, tough, journey. My nanny is the strongest, most compassionate person I know, and throughout her battle, she has taught of us to focus of the positive things. She lived each day of her life to the fullest and spent her life doing what she loved: spending time with her family. We know things won’t get better from here on, but she has left behind two beautiful daughters, who will continue to enjoy life just as she did. My family has gone through so much, and I wouldn’t wish it on anybody, but this has been a blessing in disguise. My mom is seven years older than my auntie, and they were never close. From helping my nanny, they have become so much closer and stronger than I could ever imagine. Although my nanny will not be here for my graduation, or to see me get married, or have children, she will always be with my in my heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment