Thursday 28 February 2013

Trouble in Paradise

The quiet suburbs, only the sound of birds can be heard. I sit in the grand foyer waiting for the man I have called my husband for over 21 years. Maybe I am in a trance. This cant be real, he would never do such a thing. With the tear stained emails in hand, I hear him drive up to the house. The car door slams and my heart races as I run towards the kitchen. He opens the door and the salty tears run down my flushed face. "Honey, I’m home!" I hear as he takes off his shoes. I don’t say a word. "Sweetie where- Janet, what is wrong? What’s happened?" He walks in to the kitchen and sees my makeup smeared face.
"Jon, you know what’s wrong. Do you know what you have done to our family?" My voice tremors as I try my best to stay calm.
"Janet, what are you talking about?"
"The emails, the phone calls, everything. I know about it all. Who is she?" And I see the look in his eyes. He knows exactly what I mean.
“It was just once, I swear. It only happened once” his voice shakes as he tries to cover his tracks.
“Oh, so I must be seeing incorrectly? You're saying that even if these emails date back to last September, that it only happened once?” The fire is building up inside my exhausted body. He turns around, not knowing what to say or do. I have to get out of here, I have to leave. Sprinting out the back door not knowing what I am going to do or where I am going to go, I run over to the guest house, with Jon running after me. I close the door and see it. The shiny axe that we bring out every fall to cut fire wood.  Just as I grab it, Jon storms in with a new attitude.
“You know what? This is your entire fault. If you hadn’t of spend all your time at the country club I wouldn’t of done it.” And I take my first and last swing of the axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment